Harvest Dreams
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NewsHomeForum and Role Play RulesPortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Eh, Books

Go down 
+3
Kritten
stephxluke
afsangel
7 posters
AuthorMessage
afsangel
Special Member
Special Member
afsangel

Female Number of posts : 6693
Roleplay Name : Kazumi Martin

Awards : Eh, Books Afsangelaward-4

Eh, Books Empty
PostSubject: Eh, Books   Eh, Books EmptyTue May 11, 2010 9:16 pm

We're reading that book in reading class now. It's not a very long book so we're almost done. The book is pretty good. It's based off of a true story. I am writing like a kindergartner. Haha, anywho, We also read "The Outsiders" in English last month. Which i must say, is one of the best books i've ever read. In truth, anyone can easily write a book and get it published even if the book actually sucks. (coughtwilightcough) But the outsiders is actually one of the good books out there that deserves to be read. I want to red Ella Enchanted. I've also tried to read "Romeo and Juliet" and "Pride and Predjudice" but i honestly cannot understand a word people are saying. Beh, i need to get those books in modern-day english. I don't know old english or shakespirenese yet. So, anyone else read any good books latley?
Back to top Go down
stephxluke
Farmer
Farmer
stephxluke

Female Number of posts : 804
Roleplay Name : Alex Addison Camp
Awards : Eh, Books Stephxlukenov

Eh, Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eh, Books   Eh, Books EmptyTue May 11, 2010 11:24 pm

The Outsiders?! I loooooooved that book!!!!! The seventh graders at my school are watching the movie right now. That was an amazing book and S.E. Hinton was only sixteen when she wrote it!!!!

Other than that, we just finished "Night" by Elie Weisel today... One of the saddest books I've ever read! It's about the Holocaust. Other than that, since there are only two more weeks of school left for me, I'm not reading anything else.

Romeo and Juliet was something I wanted to read too. A lot of old literature though... And my friend who read it said it was boring and stupid. *shrugs* I have to read it in high school anyway
Back to top Go down
Kritten
Admin
Admin
Kritten

Female Number of posts : 8780
Roleplay Name : Kitty Kitz
Awards : Eh, Books Badge

Eh, Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eh, Books   Eh, Books EmptyWed May 12, 2010 12:39 am

I haven't read "The Outsiders" but I have read "Ella Enchanted." (Honestly I didn't like the book too much. I read it in eighth grade and it seemed so easy.)

In ninth grade I got to read Romeo and Juliet. It's in iambic pentameter, so try reading it like that and it'll make more sense. (They really didn't talk the way Shakes wrote, he wrote in what I call 'poem theater style.') I personally liked a "Midsummer's Night Dream" better than Romeo and Juliet though.

I read Night once too, but that was all the way back in 6th grade. Isn't it about a family that adopts a Jewish girl into their family as their daughter to hide her from Nazi soilders?

I really want to read 'Crime and Punishment' and 'War and Peace.' Both are by a Russian author that I'm to lazy to look up his name at the moment. Also I really want to read a book called "The Accidental Mind." It's not fiction I warn you, but non-fiction. It's mainly about the evolution of the human mind. Right now I'm reading "The Choosen" a novel about two Jewish kids. It's pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Eternal Silence
Admin
Admin
Eternal Silence

Female Number of posts : 6205
Roleplay Name : Arden Auiban
Awards : Eh, Books Esaward

Eh, Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eh, Books   Eh, Books EmptyWed May 12, 2010 1:40 pm

I've been on a classics kick lately. I've been reading books like Uncle Tom's Cabin, Anna Karenina, Vanity Fair, The Prince and The Pauper, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, etc. etc.

I've also had to read Romeo and Juliet this year in my English class. I didn't mind that so much; it was good if you understand Olde English and iambic pentameter. I would sit at my computer and read it out loud (using the Sparknotes side-by-side comparison of the original and a modern prose version). That made it a little easier. You just have to get the flow right.

Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorite books! Sooo good. Watch the movie first; you might prefer the version with Keira Knightley in it. It's nowhere near as good as the novel (what movie is?) but it makes it easier to go back and understand the plot of the book. Also, Darcy is love. And I claimed him in like seventh grade when everyone else was still on an Edward Cullen kick.

I read both "Angels and Demons" and "The DaVinci Code" by Dan Brown last week. I much preferred Angels and Demons. It was intense, but insanely good. The DaVinci Code was kind of slow for me in comparison to its predecessor.

Oh, and Kitty, you're actually thinking of two different authors. Very Happy Tolstoy wrote War and Peace, and Dostoevsky wrote Crime and Punishment.
Back to top Go down
http://undertheorangetree.deviantart.com/
Ballad Of The Fool
Admin
Admin
Ballad Of The Fool

Female Number of posts : 1691
Roleplay Name : Savannah Stark
Awards : Eh, Books Balladdecmotm

Eh, Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eh, Books   Eh, Books EmptyWed May 12, 2010 5:29 pm

I read Outsiders when I was younger. XD Like sixth or seventh grade. And I'm a junior now. o: Long time ago, it feels like. XD;

I read Romeo and Juliet two years ago, along with Whirligig, To Kill A Mockingbird, and a few others. I read "Of Mice and Men" last year, and Julius Caesar, The Crucible, Raisin in the Sun, and a few others. This year, I've read I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Great Gatsby, Catcher in the Rye, Dr. Zhivago, Last Days of the Romanovs, and I'm going to be starting up MacBeth and Persuasion soon. (:
Back to top Go down
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1145250/
Oig
Farmer
Farmer
Oig

Male Number of posts : 219
Roleplay Name : Kyle

Eh, Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eh, Books   Eh, Books EmptySun May 16, 2010 12:10 pm

Right now, I'm reading 100 Years of Solitude.

Weeiirrdd stuff, man.
Back to top Go down
afsangel
Special Member
Special Member
afsangel

Female Number of posts : 6693
Roleplay Name : Kazumi Martin

Awards : Eh, Books Afsangelaward-4

Eh, Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eh, Books   Eh, Books EmptySun May 16, 2010 12:15 pm

I officaly don't have anything to read as of when we finished "The wave.'' I have this book my friend let me borrow, but i've kind of stopped reading it.
Back to top Go down
stephxluke
Farmer
Farmer
stephxluke

Female Number of posts : 804
Roleplay Name : Alex Addison Camp
Awards : Eh, Books Stephxlukenov

Eh, Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eh, Books   Eh, Books EmptyMon May 17, 2010 12:55 am

@ES: No, the book with the Jewish girl was called "Number the Stars" and I read that in 5th grade. For some reason, my school loves having us read Holocaust books. In 7th grade I read "Devil's Arithmetic" and now in 8th grade I read "Night"

Night is about this guy named Elie and he goes through all the camps and survives. It's freaky 'cause it's a true story.

Reading "Evermore" right now--hope it'll be good!!! It's written in present tence, which isn't my favorite but I'll get over it. I'm more of a past tence kind of reader. *shrugs*
Back to top Go down
clairexcliff
Hero
Hero
clairexcliff

Male Number of posts : 4687
Roleplay Name : Amando
2nd char:Roan

Awards : Eh, Books Cliffnov

Eh, Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eh, Books   Eh, Books EmptyMon May 17, 2010 6:55 am

well..i haven't read a book that long but i remember i tried reading The Breaking Dawn..but gosh it has lots of pages..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Eh, Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eh, Books   Eh, Books Empty

Back to top Go down

Eh, Books
Page 1 of 1