Harvest Dreams
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NewsHomeForum and Role Play RulesPortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

You're a rich kid...and it’s gone too far

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Kritten
Admin
Admin
Kritten

Female Number of posts : 8780
Roleplay Name : Kitty Kitz
Awards : You're a rich kid...and it’s gone too far  Badge

You're a rich kid...and it’s gone too far  Empty
PostSubject: You're a rich kid...and it’s gone too far    You're a rich kid...and it’s gone too far  EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 2:55 am

Just something I wrote for the school paper that I think applies to the world.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let’s face it—we’re spoiled. A good percentage of us get allowances and incredible gifts for birthdays and holidays. According to MuniNetGuide the national median income for a US family is $52,024, but in Brown County it’s considerably higher: $63,230. Since our families have a larger income, more of that is spent on us. For raising a child up to seventeen years, a dual-parent family will spend around $170,460 (data from Thomson Reuters.) This includes EVERYTHING: education, clothes, health, clothing, housing items, transportation, and miscellaneous. (Aka: birthdays, holidays, the ‘hey, can I borrow some cash to go to Dairy Queen?”)

My point is that our parents spend a huge amount of money on us. Around five percent of their income goes to us each year; excluding college funds they save up for us. This is only an average amount for all the people in Brown County too. In every average, there are outliers that mess things up, so in actuality some of us are getting even more than five percent of the income. (Yes, there are some who get less too.) Plus, many of us have siblings which get five percent of it themselves too, so families like mine with three kids spend around fifteen percent of their annual income.

I can understand the whole clothing, health, housing, education, and food needs. But do our parents really need to spend a whole ton of money on a car for us? Think about it. The more money they spend on you the less goes to your college education. Most people suffer from large debts from college once they graduate. Yeah—I get to drive a car to school sometimes, but that’s because my dad doesn’t work anymore and my parents don’t need two cars all the time. Cars are expensive, and I know that some of you had to pay half for it or/and the gas and insurance. There are better uses for that money—it could have paid for a year or two of tuition or room and board instead. It’s important to think about the future consequences of getting a car. College students are poor. I hear about it constantly from my two older brothers that aren’t enjoying the lack of green in their pockets.

Another thing is the expensive clothes. Yes, we all need clothes—but do we really need the expensive kind? Often I hear girls chat about their $100+ jeans from Buckle, while I’m sitting in the jeans I got from Maurices for about thirty bucks. Thirty bucks is still considerably expensive. I understand if people don’t agree with this, but paying for a pair of jeans myself drains my wallet quickly, if not immediately.

Allowance is a big contributor of our spoiled-ness. It allows many of us to go through high school and not learn what the meaning of a dollar truly is. Plus, some people get bonuses for getting good grades, which is great for encouragement, but it should be up to the child to want to get good grades so they can get into a better college and have a better life. I never had an allowance and when I’d ask my parents why, I would be told the chores I do go towards my room, meals, and clothes they provide for me. It seemed stupid at first, but now that I look at it I’m glad they don’t give me an allowance. I had to really earn the money for the bike I wanted when I was ten, instead of being handed it for just cleaning up my room sometime during the day.

There are plenty of things I can write about, but the point will always stay the same. We live in a spoiled society and—that’s it. Our parents cater to our every need and more, so it’s about time to thank them—I’m not talking about the wimpy ‘Thank you.” I’m talking about doing something nice for them, like not complaining when they ask for a favor, or fixing dinner for them for a change. For the people that do try to pay for things themselves and have/are looking for a job, you deserve a cookie.
Back to top Go down
Wess
Sprite
Sprite
Wess

Male Number of posts : 1605
Roleplay Name : Wess
2nd Character: Maris
Awards : You're a rich kid...and it’s gone too far  Nextmotm

PostSubject: Re: You're a rich kid...and it’s gone too far    You're a rich kid...and it’s gone too far  EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 8:22 pm

12kittycat1214 wrote:
For the people that do try to pay for things themselves and have/are looking for a job, you deserve a cookie.

Nice paper; I ended up writing a large variety of scripts for the News Cast at school, which gave me terrible lolz. Very Happy

Canz I haz kewkie?
Back to top Go down
afsangel
Special Member
Special Member
afsangel

Female Number of posts : 6693
Roleplay Name : Kazumi Martin

Awards : You're a rich kid...and it’s gone too far  Afsangelaward-4

PostSubject: Re: You're a rich kid...and it’s gone too far    You're a rich kid...and it’s gone too far  EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 8:23 pm

I wouldn't post something like this on the internet, Kitty. It could get stolen since people have access to it now :/
Back to top Go down
Kritten
Admin
Admin
Kritten

PostSubject: Re: You're a rich kid...and it’s gone too far    You're a rich kid...and it’s gone too far  EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 12:33 am

It's already on the school website and is a public accessible file, so it's pretty much open for the public to view and read an such. (No writing is safe on the web because of Prt Scrn.)

Besides it sucks compared to a lot of the other articles. Hardly anyone at school cares about mine. xD
Back to top Go down
Wess
Sprite
Sprite
Wess

PostSubject: Re: You're a rich kid...and it’s gone too far    You're a rich kid...and it’s gone too far  EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 12:36 am

So does that mean I don't get a cookie? D:
Back to top Go down
Kritten
Admin
Admin
Kritten

PostSubject: Re: You're a rich kid...and it’s gone too far    You're a rich kid...and it’s gone too far  EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 12:40 am

(>' ')>o
Here's your cookie. Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
Wess
Sprite
Sprite
Wess

PostSubject: Re: You're a rich kid...and it’s gone too far    You're a rich kid...and it’s gone too far  EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 12:45 am

o<(' '<)
Ty.

*glomps*
Back to top Go down
35bell
35bell

Female Number of posts : 5158
Roleplay Name : Genna Song

Awards : You're a rich kid...and it’s gone too far  Bellnov

PostSubject: Re: You're a rich kid...and it’s gone too far    You're a rich kid...and it’s gone too far  EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 6:40 pm

urrmmm

I do buy things for myself. Like clothes, and other stuff. It's because I get an allowance o3o. ehehehe. I didn't force them D:

I buy the stuff I need

My parents buy stuff the family needs

ehehe >.>

But I have to get a workers permit to get a job :c

I think I have to be 14 to work at liek a fast food place? lol. idk
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/35bell
Wess
Sprite
Sprite
Wess

PostSubject: Re: You're a rich kid...and it’s gone too far    You're a rich kid...and it’s gone too far  EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 11:07 pm

My cousin's 19, and doesn't have a life, or job for that matter. She goes to college, her parents pay for it, and she uses her mom's car.

Sometimes I wanna slap her. D:
Back to top Go down
Eternal Silence
Admin
Admin
Eternal Silence

Female Number of posts : 6205
Roleplay Name : Arden Auiban
Awards : You're a rich kid...and it’s gone too far  Esaward

PostSubject: Re: You're a rich kid...and it’s gone too far    You're a rich kid...and it’s gone too far  EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 11:55 pm

I babysit to get extra cash; if I'm going to the mall or the movies or something, my mom usually gives me $10 or $20. But I don't get an allowance, and I do a lot around the house during the daytime. I save Christmas and birthday money for big purchases.

Right now, I work nine hours a week at the YMCA for free. I need comserv hours, but next year, I'm getting a job on top of comserv hours and driving my mom's car. So yeah.

I don't consider myself spoiled. I think a lot of kids my age are, though.
Back to top Go down
http://undertheorangetree.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: You're a rich kid...and it’s gone too far    You're a rich kid...and it’s gone too far  Empty

Back to top Go down

You're a rich kid...and it’s gone too far
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Harvest Dreams :: HM Creativity :: Written Creativity-
Jump to: