Harvest Dreams
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NewsHomeForum and Role Play RulesPortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Help a noob please?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
gorm135
gorm135

Male Number of posts : 23
Roleplay Name : Gorm, minus the 135

Help a noob please? Empty
PostSubject: Help a noob please?   Help a noob please? EmptyWed May 25, 2011 1:25 am

Ok, what is a good game for someone relatively new to HM? I've played RF3, but that's it. Don't worry about any consoles, I am set with them. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Dimearl
Fledging Farmer
Fledging Farmer
Dimearl

Female Number of posts : 52
Roleplay Name : Skyler Todd

PostSubject: Re: Help a noob please?   Help a noob please? EmptyWed May 25, 2011 1:54 am

I really did like all the RF games, so if you want to find the others, that should be fine. You could try RF frontier on Wii, that one was really fun too. ( Harvest Moon Animal Parade was a great on to ;D It has my fave charas in it~)

The newest game out in the US from HM is, Harvest Moon Wind Bazaar. I'm not sure if you will like it or not, it's set up differently from the past games. I thought it was alright, but others really disliked the feel of it, so I'm not sure how you would feel about it.

But the newest one for the DS is called Harvest Moon Twin Village ( or The Tell of Two Towns ) This one doesn't have a relase date for the US yet, DX but I'm sure many people here are really looking forward to it.

I believe there is a new one out for the PsP, called Harvest Moon: Hero of Leaf Valley, Me and my bro were gonna by it XD but we ended up getting a new Final fantasy game at the time. So I can't tell you if I loved it or not.D":
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Dimearl
gorm135
gorm135

Male Number of posts : 23
Roleplay Name : Gorm, minus the 135

PostSubject: Re: Help a noob please?   Help a noob please? EmptyWed May 25, 2011 1:59 am

Thanks Dimearl, aside from your buying a ff game over hm, thanks XD. TBH, looking more towards a ds game, as my wii is busted, and my psp was gathering dust before selling it. Probably go for the ds games, maybe try HM.
Back to top Go down
Dimearl
Fledging Farmer
Fledging Farmer
Dimearl

Female Number of posts : 52
Roleplay Name : Skyler Todd

PostSubject: Re: Help a noob please?   Help a noob please? EmptyWed May 25, 2011 2:56 am

Haha XD do you not like FF ? And, na, It really wasn't my choice. My bro is the one who plays the Psp and Ps3, so he was the one who had to chose.

Hmmm, Ok, so you know how I said the first game I ever played was RF ? The first one XD Well, after I found out there were more games, ones that I could marry a boy, I wanted to find them.
So I guess the first HM game I played after that was Harvest Moon Island of Happiness for the DS. I really had fun with it. ( There is anouther game that closely resembles Island of Happiness, it's called "Sunshine Islands", some differences are that you move with the buttons on the DS instead of using the pen, like in IoH. There is one extra bachelor/bachelorette. More Events, and side stories. And the mapping is different. ) There might be a few more differences, but again, I didn't but the game, so I cant tell you to much about it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Dimearl
Eternal Silence
Admin
Admin
Eternal Silence

Female Number of posts : 6205
Roleplay Name : Arden Auiban
Awards : Help a noob please? Esaward

PostSubject: Re: Help a noob please?   Help a noob please? EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 10:02 pm

*cracks knuckles* Lemme break it down for you.

If you want a classic HM game, go for the always-handy Harvest Moon DS. It incorporates elements and characters from previous HM games like A Wonderful Life and Friends of Mineral Town. It's about as basic as you can get with a HM game, while incorporating new elements such as rescuing Harvest Sprites, which is accomplished by doing tasks in your farming world. I highly recommend it for anyone, but because you're unfamiliar with the series, the "classic" appeal may not be so appealing after all. Also, it has quite a few bugs. Though some of those bugs you can use to your advantage.

HM DS Cute is almost exactly the same as HM DS only you get to play as a girl and there are some new features included. Nothing very special.

Harvest Moon: Island of Happiness is one of the more challenging games in the franchise, just because it's very intricate. There's a whole Sun and Water points system for planting and growing the absolute best crops, though I've found this hasn't really affected my own game, since I'm not really a stickler for the highest-quality stuff like some people can be. The gameplay is a little hard. The movement is almost completely controlled with the stylus and it can be challenging at times. I've also found that energy depletes a little faster in this game, and the only real way to effectively restore your energy (especially at the beginning of the game, when you don't have a kitchen to prepare your own stamina-replenishing meals) is to spend precious money at the local restaurants/cafes to buy food. Upsides include an entire cast of new characters and a choice between playing as a girl or a boy. The whole point is just to develop the island, basically, by attracting people to move there and open businesses, etc.

Almost all HM games have a "pair." A Wonderful Life, Another Wonderful Life. Friends of Mineral Town, More Friends of Mineral Town. Sunshine Islands is Island of Happiness's pair. It has the same characters, but a different plot/scenario. In Sunshine Islands, you have to complete certain tasks in order to unlock different islands and thus unlock different opportunities. For example, if you unlock Volcano Island, you can go to the mine, if you unlock Animal Island, there's all kinds of animals that help you with things, and so on. You unlock islands by collecting things called Sun Stones. Again, you can do so by completing certain tasks. You can use the directional pad instead of the touch screen in Sunshine Islands for movement. There are some more additional features in comparison to Island of Happiness, but is a little more challenging in some aspects, as well.

Unfortunately, I haven't played any of the Rune Factory games other than the first, and then just barely. I also have not played Grand Bazaar, and Tale of Two Towns hasn't been released in NA yet. However, one of our staff members, Genna, loves Grand Bazaar, and you can see her reviews of the game elsewhere in this forum. And I have an older brother who really liked Rune Factory 1. He was sixteen at the time he played it and he liked the fighting-monsters aspect of it.

I hope that helped, even just a little! Overall, I'd recommend HM DS (I'm totally biased in that because it's one of my absolute favorites) but quite honestly you really can't go wrong with anything you choose.

...Also if you get your Wii fixed anytime soon I totally suggest that you buy either Tree of Tranquility or Animal Parade. Those are beautiful, beautiful games.

For more information, you should visit either Freyashawk's HM game guides on IGN (links to those guides can be found on the right side of THIS page), or Fogu (HERE)
Back to top Go down
http://undertheorangetree.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help a noob please?   Help a noob please? Empty

Back to top Go down

Help a noob please?
Page 1 of 1