Harvest Dreams
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NewsHomeForum and Role Play RulesPortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Smells of Home [Black Heart - Winifred and Mazie]

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Bakyura
Fledging Farmer
Fledging Farmer
Bakyura

Male Number of posts : 65
Roleplay Name : Mazie Addison

Smells of Home [Black Heart - Winifred and Mazie] Empty
PostSubject: Smells of Home [Black Heart - Winifred and Mazie]   Smells of Home [Black Heart - Winifred and Mazie] EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 3:39 pm

The town center was bustling with energy and excitement as Mazie strolled about. When all else failed, she loved exploring the local markets to see what others had to offer. In a way, though not as thrilling or dangerous as exploring tended to be, taking a trip through the town center was just as much of an adventure in its own right.

It was a beautiful morning when she had arrived, taking interest in those who set up shop and the others who came out to explore the markets themselves. The air was neither too warm or too cold, and the sun provided a soft glow upon the town center. Mazie had been spending most of her time adventuring recently, and was beginning to wonder where or what to do with her time. She had been just about everywhere there was to be, and done everything there was to do; what was next?

The market, of course.

Sifting through peoples' old junk was always exciting. There was lots of cool stuff to be found, perhaps like a treasure hunt, and there were always plenty of stories to give history to her findings. She liked hearing merchants talk about their items more than she actually liked most items themselves. But after having spent most of the early morning bouncing from location to location, Mazie took a rest at a bench along the town. It was nice to take a break once in a while.

But, as was common in the young girl's life, she couldn't rest for long.

Within moments, a fresh and fruity scent caught her nose. It was warm. And strangely enough, it reminded her of home--back when she lived with her mother and father. It was that friendly, inviting kind of smell that wrapped itself around all five senses. Without even thinking, she stood to locate the source of such a fine smell. It was simply wonderful, and all of her fatigue seemed to vanish in a flash.

And it didn't take her long to locate it at all. A small stall was just beginning to be set up and though Mazie could see nobody manning it at that given moment, there was a fine display of fresh pies displayed. They were steaming. Hot, fresh and delicious. The girl was quick on her feet as she nimbly swept her way through the crowd. It had been a long time since she had ever smelt anything so wonderful, though Ruby's cooking was surely tough to compare to.

"Excuse me?" Mazie asked, having noticed a figure behind the stall. It was, likely by the shape, a young woman. She appeared to be tending to something--perhaps still in the midst of preparing her stall--but Mazie couldn't help but speak up. What a fine product that was presented. Maze would have no problem spending a few coins on these, though she was typically quite stingy with her money at the market. "Are you running this stall, by chance?"
Back to top Go down
Schizopathic
Schizopathic

Female Number of posts : 46
Roleplay Name : Winifred Raycrest

PostSubject: Re: Smells of Home [Black Heart - Winifred and Mazie]   Smells of Home [Black Heart - Winifred and Mazie] EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 9:04 pm

Winifred was in quite a tizzy that morning. It was the first time she had tried to set up a stall to sell her hand-made treats. The people in Forget-Me-Not Valley seemed friendly enough, and a few others who were frequent marketeers had offered lent a hand in setting up her first shop, but there was still a lot to be nervous about. Rumour had it there was a world-reknowned cook living in Forget-Me-Not Valley who would certainly set everyone's standards high.

The morning hours were running away from her, but Winifred's stall still wasn't completely operational. She could only imagine that most of the people were marching by without giving her a second look when they saw she was in such disarray with her work.

However, a single voice rose from the shoppers who usually roamed the streets without much intention of purchasing. Winifred felt her back tense and she turned to see who had spoken to her. The voice could have been aimed at anyone, but she felt distinctly that it had been aimed at her, and when she saw the young woman on the other side of the counter with wine-coloured hair, a smile lit her face.

"I certainly am," Winifred responded. She brushed long dark hair from her face before making her way over to the counter with a sweet smile on her face. "My name is Winifred Raycrest, but most people call me Wini. I only recently moved out here from the city where I grew up. It's a pleasure to meet you."

She wanted others to try her baked goods, but Winifred wasn't sure how to go about suggesting it to the customer. Perhaps this woman had come to take a look because she was already interested in what she had to offer. There were a number of fruit-based pies available since it was their season; apple, orange, grape.

Winifred would have to learn to be a little more persistent if she wanted to make a business out of this.
Back to top Go down
Bakyura
Fledging Farmer
Fledging Farmer
Bakyura

PostSubject: Re: Smells of Home [Black Heart - Winifred and Mazie]   Smells of Home [Black Heart - Winifred and Mazie] EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 9:38 pm

Mazie was surprised when the woman turned around.

Something about the contrast of her icy blue eyes--though betrayingly tender and warm--and her hair, black as the night time sky, was captivating. For a moment, the young girl could do nothing but stop and stare. And then, to top it all off, she graced her face with a motherly smile as she approached the counter to do business with Mazie.

Whether or not this mother-like demeanor was just her way of doing business was beyond Maze, but she found herself grinning at just the thought.

"So you're from the city, too! And a new face, to boot," Mazie said with obvious interest, though her gaze was quickly lead back to the pies displayed before her. They all looked so good, and the warm smell was overwhelming. If she had the money, she would buy them all. "I'm Mazie Addison, but most people around here call me Maze. The pleasure is all mine, and might I add, you have some wonderful looking--and smelling--pies on display here."

The pies looked wonderful. But the smells mingled into a beautiful fruity mixture of smells, and Mazie felt like she had perhaps died and gone to heaven. "What flavours do you have to offer today?" Not that there were any bad fruit flavors when it came to summer time. They were all a great treat, and to Mazie, a pie was a pie, but she was curious as to what might strike her fancy.

"Mind you, they all look very good! Perhaps I should just randomly select one?"
Back to top Go down
Schizopathic
Schizopathic

PostSubject: Re: Smells of Home [Black Heart - Winifred and Mazie]   Smells of Home [Black Heart - Winifred and Mazie] EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 10:10 pm

There was something about that ripe grinning face that filled Winifred's heart with happiness. From her experience in the city, kids who were around Maize's age were prone to fall into a lazy lifestyle that could endanger their future health. Yet, this wine-haired girl seemed to overflow with positive energy.

It was a warm day, but luckily she had snagged a space beneath the shade of a leafy tree that would keep them from catching heat stroke. "Maze," Winifred said with a cute smile as she leaned against the counter. "I like that."

When inquired about the pies, Winifred seemed to panic for a moment. She had still been in the process of setting out her display of pies when Mazie dropped in out of the blue. But it had been a very welcome introduction, so she didn't feel so bad. "Right here are some of the main summer fruit flavours," she explained. "I have some wild berry flavours that need to be put out on display yet."

She wandered back to where Maize had caught her working, and then took a full pie in each hand that she brought out to show her single customer. Blueberry and raspberry were set on the counter with the other three flavours.

"Today I have apple, raspberry, orange, blueberry, and grape pies available," Winifred said. She giggled when Maize suggested picking one at random, covering her mouth as the light sound escaped. "If you enjoy all of the fruits summer has to offer, I'm sure that would be a more than interesting way to pick one."
Back to top Go down
Bakyura
Fledging Farmer
Fledging Farmer
Bakyura

PostSubject: Re: Smells of Home [Black Heart - Winifred and Mazie]   Smells of Home [Black Heart - Winifred and Mazie] EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 10:38 pm

"Wini is cute too," Mazie said almost teasingly, though it was a sincere compliment, as Wini vanished off to retrieve the other pies for display. But if she was fetching more to display, that meant there was a larger selection of pies still waiting to be shared. The idea made Mazie's grin stretch wider--more wonderful pie to choose from!

"This selection is wonderful," the girl commented, taking another moment or so to simply enjoy the mingling scent that hung on the breeze. "The only one that I'm not too sure of is orange... but I'm guessing that's the one with a bit of orange-coloured innards oozing, right?" She gestured to a pie with a bit of orange that could be seen through the small patterned holes upon the surface. "How about this one?"

Though she could tell apple from the rest by the light colour, the other three looked rather dark. She inferred that it likely wasn't raspberry, but it could've been either blueberry or grape flavoured. "That one looks really good. How much do you want for the entire pie?"

The girl was already fishing about in her pockets enthusiastically.

"It's grape or blueberry, right? I bet it'll be delicious! Pies always remind me of home, you know? They've got this smell to them... any pie, any flavour; it's a warm and nostalgic feeling. Perhaps it reminds me of my grandmother, who used to bake from time to time. My mother also attempted baking when I was young, but she's not very good... her effort was good enough for me, though. When I started getting older, she ended up giving up on baking. I miss home baked pies. But I guess that's just another treasure that comes with living a country lifestyle!"

Taking a break from her ramble, Mazie beamed. "Oh, can I get one of those forks, too? If you don't mind, I would love to hang around and chat with you a little bit longer. You seem like a great lady, Wini. And you bake such beautiful pies!"
Back to top Go down
Schizopathic
Schizopathic

PostSubject: Re: Smells of Home [Black Heart - Winifred and Mazie]   Smells of Home [Black Heart - Winifred and Mazie] EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 11:18 pm

Winifred flushed with embarrassment when Mazie made a comment about her nickname; for some reason most people thought of dogs when they heard the nickname Wini. That could have been what Mazie was poking fun at with her comment, but for her to not come right out and say it made Winifred feel a bit more confortable with her somewhat bizarre name.

"Summer is always the best season for pie," Winifred said. And with the large amount of fruits available from the local farms it was easy to have an overflow of ingredients. Mazie probably wouldn't know that. After all, it was possible to have ingredients all year round in the city, since the fruits were imported from other countries. "Orange is usually only for those with a distinct love for the flavour. Yes, that would be an orange pie."

There were significantly fewer orange pies available than the other flavours. However, that was one of the more exotic flavours that Winifred loved when she had a chance to sit down and eat one of her home-made pies herself. They were usually shipped to market soon after they were baked.

Having been zoned out in thought, Winifred was dazed when Mazie asked how much it would be for an entire pie. She hadn't really settled on definite prices yet. She was new in town and was simply looking for people to taste her foods, so it probably wouldn't be a great idea to make the prices unreasonable.

"How does 300G sound?" Winifred proposed with an uncertain smile. She held her hands behind her back with another flush of embarrassment. "I don't want to make you pay out a bunch for a pie that's no good."

Winifred already knew which kind of pie Mazie had picked out, but she held her tongue since the younger girl seemed like she wanted to taste and see for herself. "Pie is a comfort food for a lot of people," she explained with a certain air of knowledge on the subject. "I also remember my grandmother when I make pie, so I put all of my love into them to help others do the same."

She fished out a plastic fork from the pile she had brought with her to the stand. "Of course," Winifred smiled as she handed the cheap fork across the counter. "I wouldn't mind having you hang around at all, Maze. Thank you -- your flattery is making me blush!"

Winifred waited until Mazie had taken a taste from the pie before asking, "Well, how is it? Do you think it's good enough to sell here?"
Back to top Go down
Bakyura
Fledging Farmer
Fledging Farmer
Bakyura

PostSubject: Re: Smells of Home [Black Heart - Winifred and Mazie]   Smells of Home [Black Heart - Winifred and Mazie] EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 12:15 am

The girl gave a few accepting nods, and added, "Do you bake with the locally grown goods each season? The fruits grown around the valley are always very fresh, especially if you visit Vesta's farm. They grow them the best! I guess you could say they're the cream of the crop!" Mazie was overcome by a totally wistful look. "By the way, in the fall season, do you make meat pies, too, perhaps? With local vegetables and stuff?"

It might have been the idea of baking that brought out the curiosity in Mazie, or perhaps it was the motherly atmosphere that seemed to be present in Winifred. Though the girl was a bit older than Maze, and quite a bit more mature, the girl felt comfortable and at ease while around her. Even if they were supposed to be buyer and seller at the market.

"300G? That's a steal," she commented with awe as she fetched the coins. Offering them to the woman behind the counter, Mazie gave her a reassuring smile. "I have a feeling that these pies will be some of the best things the valley has seen in a long time. You know, there's a woman who runs the Inn around here who is simply a wonderful cook. She focuses mostly on cooking, though, and not baking."

After having paid for her pie, and generously received the plastic fork she had requested, the girl moved without asking to the area behind the counter. Standing on the other side would only put her in the way, and she was no longer simply a customer. "A comfort food, you say? I think pie is a delicious food--then again, anything sweet generally is, though. I like sweet foods a lot. But the ones that remind me of my childhood are the best. Like chocolate chip cookies, chocolate cake and various pies."

Mazie smiled to herself at the recollection of her grandmother. So it's like that for you, too... Finding herself a spot to sit--which happened to be an old crate, possibly once carrying a stack of boxed pies--and she sighed. She had left the rest of her pie on the far end of the counter, away from the ones for sale, but close enough to herself for her to claim it as her own. One piece of the pie, slipped onto a paper plate which she casually helped herself to, hovered over her lap.

"It smells so heavenly," the girl said, almost drooling visibly as she cut into the tip of her extracted slice. It was gooey and warm--the innards were blue. It tasted an almost bitter-sweet, and her face lit up. "It's absolutely delicious, Wini! There's no way you can't sell these pies to the people here. Once they get a taste, they'll surely buy some more, time and time again!"

Almost as if it were an afterthought to a completely forgotten topic, Mazie cheerfully added, "You must really put an awful lot of love and care into making these! They're just like a grandmother's pies! Perhaps it is a family recipe you've used here?"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Smells of Home [Black Heart - Winifred and Mazie]   Smells of Home [Black Heart - Winifred and Mazie] Empty

Back to top Go down

Smells of Home [Black Heart - Winifred and Mazie]
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Harvest Dreams :: Harvest Worlds :: Harvest Moon Towns :: Forget Me Not Valley :: Town Center-
Jump to: