Harvest Dreams
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NewsHomeForum and Role Play RulesPortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

ES cares about politics...

Go down 
+2
stephxluke
Eternal Silence
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Eternal Silence
Admin
Admin
Eternal Silence

Female Number of posts : 6205
Roleplay Name : Arden Auiban
Awards : ES cares about politics... Esaward

ES cares about politics... Empty
PostSubject: ES cares about politics...   ES cares about politics... EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 12:47 pm

But this is just ridiculous.

Pardon me; there is a rant that needs to be let out before I hurt someone.

Quote :
"In a major shift, the salaries of Florida's 167,000 teachers could soon be tied to student test scores, rather than seniority and education level.

The state Senate on Wednesday approved on a controversial bill on a 21-17 vote to dismantle teacher tenure, a decades-old system in which educators' pay is based on years of experience and whether they earn upper-level degrees.

New teachers hired after July 1 would work on one-year contracts and face dismissal if their students did not show learning gains on end-of-year exams for two years in any five-year period. For them, job security would be based soley on two factors: standardized scores and job reviews by principals. Existing teachers would have future pay raises tied to student scores and reviews but would keep their current job security.

'It takes a sledgehammer to the teaching profession,' Sen. Dan Gelber, D-Miami Beach, said Wednesday.

Teachers unions are up in arms about the proposal. Robert Dow, president of the Palm Beach County Classroom Teachers Association, called the new pay plan "draconian and devastating to public education in Florida." The union, he said, has been urging members to tell legislators the bill is 'wildly misdirected, cowardly, punitive and vengeful.'"

Click for source.

I can't really make it clear how utterly unfair this is - as it is, teachers are already just teaching so we can take tests, not so students learn anything. Now, if students don't improve on their standardized test scores (personal matters aside - who cares if something's going on at home, or if the child has learning disabilities? All the state cares about is those stupid comprehensive tests), teachers are going to lose their jobs.

SO many teachers are angry because of this. Their salaries, meager as it is, are at stake here.

"1. We now have a system that shows kids can take tests...not that they have learned.
2. We now have a system that will not reward teachers for learning and bettering themselves.
3. No tenure means no security. Teachers will head out in droves in a field that is short staffed already.
4. Teachers are our biggest financial asset...they handle our childrens' minds and should be payed as such!
5. You get what you pay for. So in the future we will be getting the lowest possibly educated student, taught by the lowest paid person we can find.
6.These new teachers will stay at the minimums required and do as little as possible.
7. Our children in the future will not have learned much but will recognize the best guess in a multiple guess question about 70% of the time!"

Yeah. So. That's just my bit. >.<
The government sucks. And so does the School Board. It's honestly, absolutely ridiculous. Not just this - so many other things are entirely screwed up in the schools around here.
3 more years until I'm out of high school...just three more years...
Back to top Go down
http://undertheorangetree.deviantart.com/
stephxluke
Farmer
Farmer
stephxluke

Female Number of posts : 804
Roleplay Name : Alex Addison Camp
Awards : ES cares about politics... Stephxlukenov

PostSubject: Re: ES cares about politics...   ES cares about politics... EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 8:22 pm

A lot of teachers in my area are being let go right now too--some of whom are parents of my friends. The thing you said about 70% of kids can guess on multiple choice and get it right (something like that). That is so true! Some of the kids in my class who could care less about school, are getting good grades on tests because of guessing!

The government is wacked up right now... I usually don't get into politics because I'll either end up angry or the person I'm arguing with ends up angry, but I do know that I can't stand to watch certain people in the White House speak. My best friend's parents won't even watch it because they're afraid they'll throw a shoe through the TV or something.

This was not said to offend anyone who may be...agreeing with some stuff happening right now. So if I offended anyone, I'm sorry.
Back to top Go down
Kritten
Admin
Admin
Kritten

Female Number of posts : 8780
Roleplay Name : Kitty Kitz
Awards : ES cares about politics... Badge

PostSubject: Re: ES cares about politics...   ES cares about politics... EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 9:21 pm

This system is messed up completely. Student scores are completely unreliable at all. Who in the world thought of such an idiotic system? (I'd say more, but I don't want my political side to come out, cause I get really mean.)
Back to top Go down
Wess
Sprite
Sprite
Wess

Male Number of posts : 1605
Roleplay Name : Wess
2nd Character: Maris
Awards : ES cares about politics... Nextmotm

PostSubject: Re: ES cares about politics...   ES cares about politics... EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 1:13 am

You make me feel glad I'm in North Carolina... Otherwise Dr. Pettis would be ranting... Terribly. I can see it now.....

"I WENT TO SCHOOL 12 EXTRA YEARS FOR MY DOCTORATE, AND YOU'RE LOWERING MY PAY CHECK?! ROAAAARRRRRRRRRR!"

I think expect to seem take everything in his closet. (Including the dead frogs and poor Ulna, our skeleton.) And throw them at them.

Mrs. Elliot would go nuts worse though... ._.

Expect lots of *BEEPS* from her if it spreads.
Back to top Go down
Red Riding Hood
Sprite
Sprite
Red Riding Hood

Female Number of posts : 2119
Roleplay Name : Blue

PostSubject: Re: ES cares about politics...   ES cares about politics... EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 5:52 am

Aww, man. Poor teachers.
I don't have much a standing on Politics in the general Florida vicinity, but, Ouch. That must really sting.

I mean, not only is it putting pressure on kids, a lot of whom are already pressured by other Academic, Athletic or personal matters, but it's just outright unfair. :\

No offense to anybody agreeing or anything. Just my opinion. :'D
Back to top Go down
clairexcliff
Hero
Hero
clairexcliff

Male Number of posts : 4687
Roleplay Name : Amando
2nd char:Roan

Awards : ES cares about politics... Cliffnov

PostSubject: Re: ES cares about politics...   ES cares about politics... EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 8:17 am

well..poor teachers...i don't know anything in politics but i am concerned for the well being of all..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ES cares about politics...   ES cares about politics... Empty

Back to top Go down

ES cares about politics...
Page 1 of 1