Harvest Dreams
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NewsHomeForum and Role Play RulesPortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Earthquake in Haiti.

Go down 
+5
Ballad Of The Fool
Red Riding Hood
stephxluke
Shiki
Eternal Silence
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Eternal Silence
Admin
Admin
Eternal Silence

Female Number of posts : 6205
Roleplay Name : Arden Auiban
Awards : The Earthquake in Haiti. Esaward

The Earthquake in Haiti. Empty
PostSubject: The Earthquake in Haiti.   The Earthquake in Haiti. EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 9:02 pm

I'm sure a good majority, if not all of you have heard about this. But it's been a sad day for me today - many of my classmates are Haitian, and have family that have been affected by this disaster. Nobody's heard from their loved ones yet.

Everything has been destroyed over there. Haiti is the Western Hemisphere's poorest country, and it's been devastated by this. A hospital collapsed with helpless patients trapped inside. A United Nations headquarters collapsed with 9000 people inside. Countless others remain homeless.

Serious casualties are expected. Please keep these people in your thoughts.
Back to top Go down
http://undertheorangetree.deviantart.com/
Shiki
Shiki

Male Number of posts : 45

PostSubject: Re: The Earthquake in Haiti.   The Earthquake in Haiti. EmptyThu Jan 14, 2010 1:41 am

Eternal Silence wrote:
I'm sure a good majority, if not all of you have heard about this. But it's been a sad day for me today - many of my classmates are Haitian, and have family that have been affected by this disaster. Nobody's heard from their loved ones yet.

Everything has been destroyed over there. Haiti is the Western Hemisphere's poorest country, and it's been devastated by this. A hospital collapsed with helpless patients trapped inside. A United Nations headquarters collapsed with 9000 people inside. Countless others remain homeless.

Serious casualties are expected. Please keep these people in your thoughts.

If I remember, people wanted to give them a day to get everyone in Haiti together so they can call their family members or vice-versa. It's a sad day indeed, especially with the hospitals also being destroyed.

My condolences.
Back to top Go down
Eternal Silence
Admin
Admin
Eternal Silence

PostSubject: Re: The Earthquake in Haiti.   The Earthquake in Haiti. EmptyThu Jan 14, 2010 1:47 am

According to this source, hundreds of thousands of victims are expected to be affected.

HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS.

http://www.sphere.com/world/article/haiti-earthquake-update/19314964?icid=main
Back to top Go down
stephxluke
Farmer
Farmer
stephxluke

Female Number of posts : 804
Roleplay Name : Alex Addison Camp
Awards : The Earthquake in Haiti. Stephxlukenov

PostSubject: Re: The Earthquake in Haiti.   The Earthquake in Haiti. EmptyThu Jan 14, 2010 1:50 am

We talked about this in class today. It's very sad. And although no one I know had family that was affected personally, my heart goes out to all those who have family. Its almost like Hurricane Katrina again- worse or not as bad- but its still very sad...
Back to top Go down
Eternal Silence
Admin
Admin
Eternal Silence

PostSubject: Re: The Earthquake in Haiti.   The Earthquake in Haiti. EmptyThu Jan 14, 2010 1:51 am

My friends still haven't heard from their family and friends in Port-Au-Prince. They're worried sick. It's very sad. I looked at some of the pictures in an online gallery and it made my stomach turn.
Back to top Go down
Red Riding Hood
Sprite
Sprite
Red Riding Hood

Female Number of posts : 2119
Roleplay Name : Blue

PostSubject: Re: The Earthquake in Haiti.   The Earthquake in Haiti. EmptyThu Jan 14, 2010 1:59 am

Aw, man, those poor people...
I know a few people over there, I'm kinda worried about them and their families.
I guess we'll have to sit tight and wait; and hope for the best.

I certainly hope those people can be helped as quickly as possible. :\
Back to top Go down
Ballad Of The Fool
Admin
Admin
Ballad Of The Fool

Female Number of posts : 1691
Roleplay Name : Savannah Stark
Awards : The Earthquake in Haiti. Balladdecmotm

PostSubject: Re: The Earthquake in Haiti.   The Earthquake in Haiti. EmptyThu Jan 14, 2010 3:59 am

D:
How terrible for all those Haitians. /:

I wish them the best and a very speedy recovery from the devastation upon them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1145250/
Miharu_Nakashima
Farmer
Farmer
Miharu_Nakashima

Female Number of posts : 481
Roleplay Name : Miharu

PostSubject: Re: The Earthquake in Haiti.   The Earthquake in Haiti. EmptyThu Jan 14, 2010 4:28 am

It is very surprising that NOBODY at my school was talking about it today, usually my History teacher is very in tune with this. It is a tragic incedent and I would help If I knew how. But for now all I can right now is wish them a quick recovery from this devastation, it will take some time, but it will be okay. There are people already donating money to help them and some are hoping friends and family are okay.
Back to top Go down
clairexcliff
Hero
Hero
clairexcliff

Male Number of posts : 4687
Roleplay Name : Amando
2nd char:Roan

Awards : The Earthquake in Haiti. Cliffnov

PostSubject: Re: The Earthquake in Haiti.   The Earthquake in Haiti. EmptyFri Jan 15, 2010 8:04 am

nobody in class talked about it except me..i was the first one to talk about it..it was the most devastating earthquake i've seen..
Back to top Go down
Eternal Silence
Admin
Admin
Eternal Silence

PostSubject: Re: The Earthquake in Haiti.   The Earthquake in Haiti. EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 3:12 am

Dunno if you guys have heard this, but the UN declared this earthquake the most devastating natural disaster they've ever seen. It beats out the '06 tsunami, too.

It may be my geographic location that makes me concerned about this - as in, really really concerned. I'm in South Florida, and a good deal of my neighbors, schoolmates, and friends are Haitian. Half of my high school is, as well. It's been estimated that it will take at least 10-15 years to get the country back up and running. People are dying still, days later, because they're injured and they simply don't have the resources to make them better.

I'm an MYP freshman this year. That means I have to complete a personal project -which can be anything I want, basically - and I think I know what I want to do. Tonight, when I was at church, my pastor and an elder of the church (Reverend Billy Graham's eldest grandchild, who works with a charity called Samaritan's Purse) were talking about what we could to to help.

I think I'm going to arrange a series of fundraisers, or at least try to get some money and supplies over there. Even if, for some reason, I can't do it as a personal project (I'm going to schedule a time to see my guidance counselor about this), I'm going to do it anyways.

Also, at my church, there's a program called 4Kids. They got a call from the state the other day, telling them that there are literally hundreds and hundreds, probably even thousands of Haitian orphans coming into Florida for refuge. They need people to take the kids into their homes until something can be arranged - an orphanage is built, etc. And I'd really like to do that, too, but of course, that's something I need to talk about with my mom.
Back to top Go down
clairexcliff
Hero
Hero
clairexcliff

PostSubject: Re: The Earthquake in Haiti.   The Earthquake in Haiti. EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 5:37 am

oh my God,i wonder what happens if that incident happened to our country..are we fully-prepared?
Back to top Go down
Rosette
Admin
Admin
Rosette

Female Number of posts : 1904
Roleplay Name : Venus
Awards : The Earthquake in Haiti. Hdbadge

PostSubject: Re: The Earthquake in Haiti.   The Earthquake in Haiti. EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 8:09 pm

Quote :
Dunno if you guys have heard this, but the UN declared this earthquake the most devastating natural disaster they've ever seen. It beats out the '06 tsunami, too.

Beating the Tsunami disaster? That's truly devastating. And with your series of projects ES, that's really admirable.
10 - 15 years to get the country back running is going to have a huge impact on many of those kids. They'll become adults after those years are over. Their childhood is just ruined.
Back to top Go down
http://http:harvestdreams.net
Red Riding Hood
Sprite
Sprite
Red Riding Hood

Female Number of posts : 2119
Roleplay Name : Blue

PostSubject: Re: The Earthquake in Haiti.   The Earthquake in Haiti. EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 8:40 pm

Eternal Silence wrote:

Oh my god. That's terrible. Those poor people out there, suffering.
It's an awful incident.

But wow, what a lovely thing to do, ES. <:3
Back to top Go down
clairexcliff
Hero
Hero
clairexcliff

PostSubject: Re: The Earthquake in Haiti.   The Earthquake in Haiti. EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 9:27 am

the poor people fight for food..that is really awful
Back to top Go down
35bell
35bell

Female Number of posts : 5158
Roleplay Name : Genna Song

Awards : The Earthquake in Haiti. Bellnov

PostSubject: Re: The Earthquake in Haiti.   The Earthquake in Haiti. EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 10:01 pm

i heard about this earthquake after i came back from school one day. Horrible D: When me and my family were on our way to a basketball game I hear some of my family was in Haiti. All of the family members were found except 1 D':.

i donated $7 to Haiti on friday. I felt good inside after i donated <3

To all the people in Haiti, (even though you can read this because u have no computer access right now :O) I wish you the best of luck.

Oh! Almost forgot! Haiti is proned to Hurricanes so they build buildings to protect themselves from hurricanes. But the items they build with are not good for earthquakes.

For them it was "The Big One" I guess. We may never know, We may get "The Big One" Soon in our lifes. Be prepared.

And also before i leave ;D

Surface Waves are the ones that make buildings fall apart o.o

Sorry if Im blabbing xD i learned alot from science o.o
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/35bell
Eternal Silence
Admin
Admin
Eternal Silence

PostSubject: Re: The Earthquake in Haiti.   The Earthquake in Haiti. EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 10:11 pm

There's a big difference between the hurricane impact in, say, Florida, and the one in Haiti. Here, we have about three to seven days in advance to buy extra supplies, put up storm shutters, or evacuate if need be. In Haiti, they don't have supplies to buy, shutters to put up, or anywhere to escape to. The little houses that they do have are all the protection in the world. This country had already been slammed by all the hurricanes that the U.S. got, too, and it's not as easy as snapping one's fingers and making it all go away.

/nerd.
Back to top Go down
35bell
35bell

Female Number of posts : 5158
Roleplay Name : Genna Song

Awards : The Earthquake in Haiti. Bellnov

PostSubject: Re: The Earthquake in Haiti.   The Earthquake in Haiti. EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 10:18 pm

I always wondered how Haiti could evacuate. I guess not o.o I dont know much about Hurricanes (Cuz Im not proned to Hurricanes were I live.) I do know more about Earthquakes. Even though I NEVER been in a REAL earthquake like Haiti, i still know a lot o.o.

I'm not prepared though =/ Where i live, I'm right on the Pacific Plate. In about 50,000,000 Years Los Angeles will be in Alaska. =D (Or so i heard)

If you guys ever heard of the Northridge Earthquake, People thought It was "The Big One". Anyways, Earthquakes can Happen Anywhere.

NOT JUST US CALIFORNIANS! >8[

Were all on Plate tectonics Very Happy If two Plate Tectonics are just moving (which are not earthquakes, Just moving) and if it hits and edge (like some dent) and the other plate tectonic wants to get through it keeps banging THAT IS AN EARTHQUAKE! So it could happen right now xD.

/also a nerd o.o
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/35bell
Eternal Silence
Admin
Admin
Eternal Silence

PostSubject: Re: The Earthquake in Haiti.   The Earthquake in Haiti. EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 10:41 pm

Hurricanes are some scary stuff, man, but I'd much rather deal with them than earthquakes or tornadoes. At least there's time to prepare. :3 Basically, it's an entire day of sitting in your house, with all of the stuff in your yard that could fly around outside (like flowerpots, lawn furniture, etc) laying around in your living room (we brought our wooden swing inside one year and I made a fort/tent 8D). You don't have electricity, so you're living out of a cooler and a small propane grill, if you have one, to boil water and grill food afterward. And the whole time, you're listening to this awful howling and banging around.

When the eye of the storm comes around, everyone goes outside, even though you're not technically supposed to - but all the debris and crap lying around outside is going to fly the opposite way, right into your house when the eye wall hits again.

Still. I can deal with them better than I would a tornado. Or an earthquake. :/ Florida's not really close enough by a fault line to get affected by them.
Back to top Go down
clairexcliff
Hero
Hero
clairexcliff

PostSubject: Re: The Earthquake in Haiti.   The Earthquake in Haiti. EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 9:22 am

Earthquakes cannot be predict so it is more scary than Hurricanes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Earthquake in Haiti.   The Earthquake in Haiti. Empty

Back to top Go down

The Earthquake in Haiti.
Page 1 of 1