Harvest Dreams
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NewsHomeForum and Role Play RulesPortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

SOPA and PIPA

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
35bell
35bell

Female Number of posts : 5158
Roleplay Name : Genna Song

Awards : SOPA and PIPA Bellnov

SOPA and PIPA Empty
PostSubject: SOPA and PIPA   SOPA and PIPA EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 6:24 am

Or known as "Stop Online Piracy Act"

I'm sure we're all aware that Harvest Dreams is a fansite...
And if this bill passes
...D: Say goodbye to A TON of websites.
...I know this is only in the U.S. (as far as I'm aware) and to those living in Canada, UK, or any country in fact because I don't really pay attention to your locations :'D, LUCKY DUCKS. Gah I don't want my internet rights taken away ;A;
So the voting starts tomorrow I think, that's what I heard. If it passes, kiss this goodbye ;A; If it doesn't pass...YIPPEEE~

We need to stop SOPA, because there's a lot of reasons why we still need these fansites/etc. Just thought I'd post a small notice :/
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/35bell
clairexcliff
Hero
Hero
clairexcliff

Male Number of posts : 4687
Roleplay Name : Amando
2nd char:Roan

Awards : SOPA and PIPA Cliffnov

SOPA and PIPA Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOPA and PIPA   SOPA and PIPA EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 1:44 pm

Hm. I wonder what idea strucked Us for creating such a bill.
Back to top Go down
Gmoguy
Gmoguy

Male Number of posts : 926
Roleplay Name : Dante

SOPA and PIPA Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOPA and PIPA   SOPA and PIPA EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 11:49 pm

Well, actually SOPA and PIPA were both stopped in Congress and therefore will not go through.
However, ACTA, a similar bill with a heavier consequence than what either SOPA or PIPA had planned is already in motion to be passed, it's not just for the European countries originally thought either; we must fight ACTA as well as we took care of SOPA/PIPA.
Finally, there are multiple other bills State Senates are trying to pass to reduce online piracy.
I love how older people who know nothing of the internet are trying to ruin it for the entire world. It's awesome because it's America's government trying to police more than they already do seeing as these bills affect the entire world.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/QuarterAfterZero
Limbo
Fledging Farmer
Fledging Farmer
Limbo

Male Number of posts : 121
Roleplay Name : Limbo

SOPA and PIPA Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOPA and PIPA   SOPA and PIPA EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 7:16 am

Welcome to America's current course in government:

We think we can raise your kids better than you can. We think we can make decisions on how you should live better than you can. We think you should have to buy a permit for any and everything you want to do with your property or lives, then after you get it, we'll still be picky about what we'll let you do. We think we'll want to shift the blame around and pretend it has nothing to do with us. We think we should be able to police you and make laws for complete government control (V for Vendetta in America anyone?)

We- really are not the proud nation we used to be- if George Washington rose from the dead today and saw what we have become, he would faint dead away again with tears in his eyes.

As for stopping piracy- no law will ever be able to fully shut it down. Piracy has been going on for thousands of years, on and off the net, even today there are pirates on sea raiding ships and getting away with it. If piracy- which is outlawed- can happen outside the web in modern times, it can happen on the web as well- which is also already against the law- someone will always find and make a "backdoor," it's just how it works. People don't like having a door block there way into a room of goodies, so they find a way to get around the door- whether it involves blowing up the door, picking the lock, copying the key, taking the bolts off the side, digging under it, climbing through a window and slipping in behind- you get the idea. Shut down a site, a new site and more pop up to take it's place, it's unavoidable and happens again and again.

No, I'm not saying piracy is okay, but I am saying it cannot and will not ever be stopped fully. Laws won't stop it from continuing- but people saying, "No, I won't pirate insert file/cd/movie name. I'm going out to buy a legal copy of it to support the artists/writers/actors/etc, who made this wonderful piece of technology/work/art I enjoy," makes a difference.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

SOPA and PIPA Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOPA and PIPA   SOPA and PIPA Empty

Back to top Go down

SOPA and PIPA
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Harvest Dreams :: Harvest Dreams General :: General-
Jump to: