Harvest Dreams
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NewsHomeForum and Role Play RulesPortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

All's Fair

Go down 
+3
Red Riding Hood
Kritten
Eternal Silence
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Eternal Silence
Admin
Admin
Eternal Silence

Female Number of posts : 6205
Roleplay Name : Arden Auiban
Awards : All's Fair Esaward

All's Fair Empty
PostSubject: All's Fair   All's Fair EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 6:57 pm

WARNING WARNING WARNING

This is rated T on fanfiction.net, just because I'm paranoid. Proceed with caution. 8] Kthnx. Enjoy.

The first time I saw her was in the library. She was absentmindedly flipping through the pages of a book, her eyes scanning over the text. I was surprised that she could even lift the heavy book; she was so frail that it looked like a feather could break her in half.

The bell on the library door chimed as I pushed it open. She looked up, her eyes registering my appearance with some level of recognition. She placed a fabric bookmark in the book, and shut it, then turned her gaze to me.

“You’re Ray, aren’t you?” Her voice was surprisingly deep and rich.

“Uh, yeah,” I blinked. How did she know that?

“I’m Maria,” she introduced herself, sticking a pale hand out to me. I found myself at a loss for words; this girl was incredibly straightforward, despite her meek appearance.

“Do you like to read, Ray?” she asked, gesturing to the shelves of books that enclosed her into the small building.

“Eh. I’m more into fishing. I never finished college; I wanted to travel, you know?” I fingered my lucky lure, which was in my pocket. Everyone told me it was dangerous to tote a hook around, especially so close to my body, but it hadn’t so much as poked me in the six years I had kept it there.

“’A man who has never gone to school may steal from a freight car; but if he has a university education, he may steal the whole railroad.’ Theodore Roosevelt.” She eyed me, waiting to gauge my reaction.

“Huh?” I stared at her, trying to interpret the meaning of her words.

She grinned, reopened her book to the page she left off on, and simply said, “Think about it.”

“Augh,” I groaned, pulling my line out of the water. At the end of the lure, a tangle of weeds and gunk were straining against the pole. I sighed, pulled the crap off of my hook, and tossed the lure back into the water.

I looked up, startled, as Maria primly sat down next to me. “Do you just materialize out of nowhere?” I asked the raven-haired librarian. She smiled softly as she watched my lure bob in the river.

“Wh-whoa.” There was an insistent tugging on the other end of my line. Quickly, I reeled it back in, only to discover yet another tangle of weeds. Frustrated, I cleaned off my line again and tossed it back into the water.

“’ Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.’ Theodore Roosevelt,” Maria said, watching me cast my line again. I rolled my eyes and stared intently at the bobber, anticipating the adrenaline rush that always accompanied the catch.

“Um, so, do you like, uh, math, and stuff?” I stuttered, blushing. I made sure to keep a strict eye on the bobber, but I was keeping my peripherals locked on the petite young woman next to me. Maria looked over at me and brushed a lock of hair behind her tiny ears.

“Well, I have an inclination towards anything to do with learning,” she enunciated primly.

“Uh. OK. Look, I’m having some trouble with, you know, budgeting and stuff, and, well…” This was embarrassing. Not only did I not have a clue how to budget my meager funds, but also I only earned meager funds. And I was admitting it to the only person who had ever taken up a conversation with me.

“Sure, I’ll help you. I’ll meet you at the library, Saturday at, say, 4:00?”

Promptness was a character trait of Maria’s, I learned, as I approached the library at exactly four o’ clock on Saturday. She was waiting for me at her desk, a chair already pulled up and waiting for me. She had a calculator and a tight bundle of freshly sharpened pencils sitting on her mahogany desk, and she was already sorting through a book called “Finances for the Fisherman.” As she spotted me, she handed me the book with a feminine grin on her face.

“Where do you find books like this?” I asked in disbelief, thumbing through the pages. It was perfect for an imbecile like me.

“I’m a librarian, remember? It’s my job to find books for patrons.” Her chocolate-brown eyes gazed at me, and for a moment, I felt like much more than just a patron.

I sat down next to her, and for the next three and a half hours, she walked me through every aspect of budgeting and finances, even on a small income like mine was. Her notes were detailed, scripted in tidy cursive on a piece of parchment. She joked about money and accountants, and I actually laughed at some of them. Best of all, she didn’t patronize me or make me feel like an idiot if I didn’t understand something.

Eventually, the conversation died off, and I twiddled my thumbs awkwardly before saying, “You know, I didn’t always want to be a fisherman.”

“Oh?” Maria put her pencil down, looking me directly in the eye.

“Yeah. I wanted to be a businessman. Climb the corporate ladder, yell at people, tell them what they’re doing wrong, you know,” I laughed.

“’The best executive is one who has sense enough to pick good people to do what he wants done, and self-restraint enough to keep from meddling with them while they do it.’ Theodore Roosevelt,” Maria giggled along with me, a rather delicate sound that sent shivers down my spine. “Why didn’t you become a businessman?”

I fingered the piece of paper that Maria had jotted notes down on, and sighed. “My father wanted me to become an entrepreneur, like he was. Is,” I corrected myself, “and that was my goal. But as I started to grow up a little bit, I realized that I didn’t want to be like my father. I didn’t want to trample everything and everyone who was in my way of success. I didn’t want to spend hours, days, at work, sometimes coming home only to shower and kiss my wife on the cheek before leaving again. I wanted freedom. So, I dropped out of college to- and this sounds cheesy, but I dropped out to find myself.”

Maria was silent for a moment, and then quoted, “At a time when most men prosper somewhat some men always prosper greatly; and it is as true now as when the tower of Siloam fell upon all alike, that good fortune does not come solely to the just, nor bad fortune solely to the unjust. When the weather is good for crops it is also good for weeds.' Theodore Roosevelt.”

“What does that mean?” I asked, curious.

“Think about it,” she smiled, just like she had when I had first met her.

She arrived at my door early one morning. It was raining lightly, casting a somber mood on the day. I opened the door, a bit groggy, but awake nonetheless.

“Let’s go up to the mountaintop,” Maria said, her eyes shining brightly, like a little ray of sunshine.

“Are you crazy?” I muttered, rubbing my eyes. “Look. It’s gross out today. Let’s go fishing or something.” But she shook her head at me in protest.

“There’s something I want to show you.” She grabbed my coat off of the hook, handing it to me impatiently. I groaned, but humored her by shrugging the coat on and following her up to the mountain.

A cool gust blasted through the Fall air as we ascended cautiously.

“This is dangerous. And hard,” I complained, narrowly dodging a loose rock.

“’With self-discipline most anything is possible.’ Theodore Roosevelt.”

“How do you remember all these quotes?” I grumbled as I gripped her hand tightly, creating a sort of human chain against the strong wind.

“I agree with many of Roosevelt’s philosophies and ideas. Plus, I read a lot of his quotes, so I never forget them,” Maria explained, jumping aside as a squirrel scurried by her frantically. Again, my instincts told me that it was dangerous to be up here, but Maria kept going, so, against my better judgment, I followed her.

Finally, Maria stopped, a wave of disappointment crashing over her face. “I- I don’t understand,” she mumbled, her thin eyebrows knitting together. “I- all the books said Fall 13th. And it’s Fall 13th. So where is it?”

”What, exactly, are we looking for?” I asked, pulling my hat down further on my face. The rain was getting rougher, and I was losing patience with this little expedition.

She turned to face me, crestfallen. My heart squeezed. “I- the books said that a very rare flower, which only bloomed for 12 hours once every twenty-three years…” she stumbled over her words. “It’s supposed to be right here.” She sighed, and shook her head. “I guess we should go back now. What a waste…”

It all happened so fast.

The rain intensified suddenly, and Maria looked up at the sky. As she did, her foot slid on a muddy patch, and she lost her balance. I reached out to her, but my fingers merely brushed her jacket as she fell away from me. I could hear her horrified gasp as she tumbled forward down the slope, falling- falling- until she finally landed near the base of the mountain.

“Maria!” I yelled, racing towards her, groping my way down the hill, using tree branches and huge boulders to steady myself.

She was barely conscious when I reached her. “Maria!” I yelled again, afraid to touch her. I had read enough first-aid handbooks to know that my friend probably suffered multiple internal injuries. My mind raced as I knelt down besides her, panicking. Her thin eyelids fluttered open, registering slightly when she saw me. She weakly gripped my arm.

“’Life must be lived and curiosity kept alive. One must never, for whatever reason, turn his back on life.’”

“Theodore Roosevelt?” I guessed, tears mixing with the raindrops on my face.

“No, Eleanor. Eleanor Roosevelt,” she chuckled, before closing her eyes and groaning slightly, settling her head onto the drenched grass of the mountain’s base..

The mechanical beeping in the clinic set my nerves on edge. I gripped the seat cushion tightly, seeing my knuckles turn white. Maria’s father, Mayor Theodore, was pacing back and forth in the waiting room, biting his lip anxiously.

Finally, Alex appeared in the doorway, ashen.

“I- I’m sorry,” he said, averting his gaze to the floorboards. Theodore cried out, and my breath escaped me in a rush.

Maria Elizabeth Hamilton died on Fall 13th at 11:33 a.m. She sustained multiple internal injuries, and died from massive internal bleeding.

The funeral was held on a day as dreary as the one on which she died. The entire village gathered, tearfully watching the young woman’s body lower into the ground. Friends and family cried as they laid Moondrop flowers, her favorites, on the grave.

The library was to be closed until further notice. Everyone avoided the building like the plague, especially Theodore. The mayor asked me to go in and lock up, and, though it killed me to remind myself of anything Maria-related, I obliged.

Maria obviously had cleaned the library spotlessly, so all I did once I was in there was sit in her big librarian’s chair and stare numbly at her beloved books and cry for my dead friend.

After a while, I stood up. A sudden flash of white caught my eye, and I leaned over to inspect. I pulled a piece of scrap paper out and read it slowly.

I love:

· To read
· To quote
· To laugh
· To learn
· To love
· To live
· To write
· To teach
· But most of all, I love my dear Ray.

My heart clenched painfully as I brought the letter to my heart.

I love you too, Maria.

Last edited by Eternal Silence on Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://undertheorangetree.deviantart.com/
Kritten
Admin
Admin
Kritten

Female Number of posts : 8780
Roleplay Name : Kitty Kitz
Awards : All's Fair Badge

All's Fair Empty
PostSubject: Re: All's Fair   All's Fair EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 7:54 pm

That was one of the most touching stories I ever read. It sure isn't Lovely Bones by Alice Seabold, but it was very touching. I wish the story would have been longer. I would have loved to see what Ray would do after he found the letter.
Back to top Go down
Eternal Silence
Admin
Admin
Eternal Silence

All's Fair Empty
PostSubject: Re: All's Fair   All's Fair EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 8:02 pm

12kittycat1214 wrote:
That was one of the most touching stories I ever read. It sure isn't Lovely Bones by Alice Seabold, but it was very touching. I wish the story would have been longer. I would have loved to see what Ray would do after he found the letter.

:]
Thanks! I would've made it longer, but I was kinda itching to do a Ray/Maria oneshot. 2,000 words is all I can write in one day. Haha. Seriously, I get the inspiration, and if I don't write ASAP, it escapes me.

Glad you liked it!
Back to top Go down
Kritten
Admin
Admin
Kritten

All's Fair Empty
PostSubject: Re: All's Fair   All's Fair EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 8:07 pm

No problem. It was different from the other stories here, different in a good way. It was probably the most professional writing I've seen online.
Back to top Go down
Red Riding Hood
Sprite
Sprite
Red Riding Hood

Female Number of posts : 2119
Roleplay Name : Blue

All's Fair Empty
PostSubject: Re: All's Fair   All's Fair EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 8:42 pm

I love you for writing this.
Just not in that way, though.

IT'S AMMAAAAAAZZING~ *fawns over it*
Back to top Go down
Eternal Silence
Admin
Admin
Eternal Silence

All's Fair Empty
PostSubject: Re: All's Fair   All's Fair EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 8:44 pm

Thankies, love. ^^ Amazing what my mind can do in... prolly 'bout an hour. Smile This is the product of an overactive imagination and waaaaaaaaaay too much caffiene. XD
Back to top Go down
Red Riding Hood
Sprite
Sprite
Red Riding Hood

Female Number of posts : 2119
Roleplay Name : Blue

All's Fair Empty
PostSubject: Re: All's Fair   All's Fair EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 6:02 am

Ahh, Caffiene. The fuel of everything entertaining~
An hour? That's really quick for something so good~ XD
Back to top Go down
iAwesome
Farmer
Farmer
iAwesome

Male Number of posts : 205
Roleplay Name : Jake

All's Fair Empty
PostSubject: Re: All's Fair   All's Fair EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 6:44 am

aww she died D=
Great story though =D
will you make a part two?
Back to top Go down
Eternal Silence
Admin
Admin
Eternal Silence

All's Fair Empty
PostSubject: Re: All's Fair   All's Fair EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 3:25 pm

I don't plan on making a part 2, partly because I'm working on two other fanfics and partly because I really, really wanted this to be a oneshot. I don't want to hash it out and overkill it, you know? I like where it is right now, to tell you the truth.

And yes, I'm a strange little girl, eh? Writing fanfics in less than an hour. XD You should see the eight-chapter one I wrote in less than three hours.
Back to top Go down
Kritten
Admin
Admin
Kritten

All's Fair Empty
PostSubject: Re: All's Fair   All's Fair EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 6:16 pm

You must post other fanfics or I'll hunt you down.
I mean it. 0.0
Back to top Go down
Eternal Silence
Admin
Admin
Eternal Silence

All's Fair Empty
PostSubject: Re: All's Fair   All's Fair EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 10:26 pm

Haha, you don't have to tell me twice. XD

I'm currently pretty busy with one of my FF.Net stories, which I don't really feel comfortable posting here, because of the random age groups and the whole no-real-way-of-sorting-by-rating thing. But as soon as I finish that one up, I'll have a whole BUNCH of time to write random fics and one-shots, lol.
Back to top Go down
Eternal Silence
Admin
Admin
Eternal Silence

All's Fair Empty
PostSubject: Re: All's Fair   All's Fair EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 1:26 am

GAH.

I'm really frustrated, so I'm just going to vent here.

I HAVE MAJOR WRITER'S BLOCK. D: I've already wrote/posted twelve chapters for a story on ff.net, and I have the plotline all developed in my head, I just...am having trouble putting it together. AND IT'S BUGGING ME.

Usually, I manage to churn out at least an update a day, but I've been lagging... grr. I still have at least a good eight chapters left for this story, too, and it's a REALLY GOOD fanfic! D: D: D: D: D:

I'll figure it out, I guess. And in the meantime, I'll just beta read stories, I guess... D:
Back to top Go down
Kritten
Admin
Admin
Kritten

All's Fair Empty
PostSubject: Re: All's Fair   All's Fair EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 9:08 pm

No I get out of it and you get in it! Agh! It makes me angry!
Back to top Go down
Eternal Silence
Admin
Admin
Eternal Silence

All's Fair Empty
PostSubject: Re: All's Fair   All's Fair EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 9:19 pm

I haven't written any fluff stories lately. O.o I've been kinda off since my friend died a few weeks ago, so my stories are kinda reflecting that, I guess.
Back to top Go down
Kritten
Admin
Admin
Kritten

All's Fair Empty
PostSubject: Re: All's Fair   All's Fair EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 10:10 pm

That's tough. One of the kids I babysat died too. It was sad cause she just started her first year of school. She was so healthy the day before, it all happened so fast...
Back to top Go down
Eternal Silence
Admin
Admin
Eternal Silence

All's Fair Empty
PostSubject: Re: All's Fair   All's Fair EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 2:10 am

I edited this story and reposted it on FF.net as a new document. I'm debating on whether or not to do the same here. There were some serious grammar and spelling issues that triggered my neurotic-ness. >.<
Back to top Go down
stephxluke
Farmer
Farmer
stephxluke

Female Number of posts : 804
Roleplay Name : Alex Addison Camp
Awards : All's Fair Stephxlukenov

All's Fair Empty
PostSubject: Re: All's Fair   All's Fair EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 4:00 am

I read that story long before I knew who you were ES! (or maybe it was shortly after?) I loved it and its so sad! RayxMaria is cute, I love Ray- married him on MM- but they make a cute pair! Lovely, just lovely!
Back to top Go down
Eternal Silence
Admin
Admin
Eternal Silence

All's Fair Empty
PostSubject: Re: All's Fair   All's Fair EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 9:05 pm

Thank you, lovey. 8] I really like this one, for some reason. Maybe because there are, like, NO Ray/Maria fics in EXISTENCE.
Back to top Go down
stephxluke
Farmer
Farmer
stephxluke

Female Number of posts : 804
Roleplay Name : Alex Addison Camp
Awards : All's Fair Stephxlukenov

All's Fair Empty
PostSubject: Re: All's Fair   All's Fair EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 4:51 am

Haha, Rayofhope3579 on youtube makes sure of that lol! But seriously, it was awesome!
Back to top Go down
clairexcliff
Hero
Hero
clairexcliff

Male Number of posts : 4687
Roleplay Name : Amando
2nd char:Roan

Awards : All's Fair Cliffnov

All's Fair Empty
PostSubject: Re: All's Fair   All's Fair EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 6:26 am

this is so good ES!

i haven't read it all..but the half was all 100% good and great!
Back to top Go down
DrakBlueSoul22
Fledging Farmer
Fledging Farmer
DrakBlueSoul22

Female Number of posts : 121
Roleplay Name : Yuriko Oki

All's Fair Empty
PostSubject: Re: All's Fair   All's Fair EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 4:47 pm

I thought it was a beautiful story, and i loved reading it. Well done ES! I love reading peoples stories. study
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

All's Fair Empty
PostSubject: Re: All's Fair   All's Fair Empty

Back to top Go down

All's Fair
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Harvest Dreams :: HM Creativity :: Written Creativity-
Jump to: