Harvest Dreams
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NewsHomeForum and Role Play RulesPortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
RainbowMilly
Farmer
Farmer
RainbowMilly

Female Number of posts : 224
Roleplay Name : Jordan Summerfield.

Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)  Empty
PostSubject: Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)    Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)  EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 6:28 pm

Jordan wouldn't go anywhere if she didn't feel like she had to. She felt horrible, with a fever pushing 103F, a headache, fatigue, and the fact that she felt in total pain every time she moved. Medicine and rest didn't help her, and if her mother was here she would say, "Go to a doctor, you can't help anyone if you die." It's not that Jordan was stubborn, she just doesn't like bothering doctors with problems that she could fix herself. She only went if it was a last resort. However, Jordan felt silly going to the doctor for a little cold.
So here she was, at the only doctor's office she knew here. The clinic was as sterile as any other, was that a law? It probably was. "Excuse me!' She called out in a raspy voice, it hurt so much to talk, "Is anyone here?" She asked before she broke into a furious cough. It is just a cold, she reassured herself.
Back to top Go down
Kritten
Admin
Admin
Kritten

Female Number of posts : 8780
Roleplay Name : Kitty Kitz
Awards : Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)  Badge

PostSubject: Re: Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)    Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)  EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 7:09 pm

Gabriel was fooling around in his office with a game of solitaire. Just like every single day he came to work. He sat in his swivel desk chair in his nice doctor suit which included a lab coat. Never did he understand why doctors looked so formal, but he kept up with the tradition for no good reason. The sound of a raspy voice alerted him that play time was older and he had to get to work.

Stepping out of his office he noticed Jordan being the one who called out. "You know we have a bell on the front desk, right?" he pointed out to the girl. By the sound of her cough she probably caught a cold or a sinus infection. If he was right she probably had been thinking that it was a small cold that would go away as soon as it came, but it got worse and now she was here.

"I thought it was above you to get sick and have to see a doctor," he joked already getting a clipboard behind the front desk to document her appointment. Walking to a nearby exam room he opened the door. "After you," he said being polite.
Back to top Go down
RainbowMilly
Farmer
Farmer
RainbowMilly

PostSubject: Re: Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)    Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)  EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 7:41 pm

"Usually I am above this. I never get sick" She said walking into the room and taking a seat, "I can't remember the last time had a check up." Jordan admitted. Most of the time a turbojolt or a bodigizer did the trick. Sometimes when she felt bad, her mom fed her grass and herbs. Jordan's immune system kept up well, but it was mostly the fact that she never put herself in situations that made most people sick. She rarely left the house when it rained, she made sure that germs weren't shared, and she wasn't reckless.

Maybe that was why it worried her that she was sick. She tried so hard to be healthy. It is such a rarity for Jordan to feel ill, she figured that it only felt horrible because she wasn't used to it. "So what do we do in one of these check up things?" Jordan asked quietly, trying not to hurt her voice.
Back to top Go down
Kritten
Admin
Admin
Kritten

PostSubject: Re: Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)    Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)  EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 8:00 pm

Just as Gabriel predicted, it had been years since the girl last went to the doctor. Most people came in once a year for a physical, to make sure they were updated on vaccinations and such, but it was obvious Jordan wasn't one of those people. No wonder why she got sick, someone may live a healthy lifestyle but sometimes the only way to avoid sickness was to get a shot. The girl probably didn't understand why people went to get flu shots in early fall or why some schools required them.

"Just a few different things like listening to your lungs, checking heart rate, blood pressure, sinuses, temperature, and your tonsils," commented on what normally happened when someone came in with a cold. "Then I'll determine the strength of the medicine you need and you follow the directions on the prescription bottle." Getting out a sphygmomanometer (the tool used to measure blood pressure) he said, "Hold out an arm so we can get this done quickly."
Back to top Go down
RainbowMilly
Farmer
Farmer
RainbowMilly

PostSubject: Re: Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)    Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)  EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 8:34 pm

Jordan held out her arm as she saw Gabe pull out the blood pressure squeezy thingy. Jordan didn't know the name of it, she doubted that many people did. It seemed reasonable what he explained what will happen, although she didn't really know where the tonsils were, or what blood pressure would have to do with anything. She was thankful that she wouldn't have to take any shots. The last time she had a shot, she remembered. She remembered the screaming that she did and they crying afterward, the sight of blood, and the doctor flicking her arm just to get a vein. It was horrifying.

Maybe Gabe forgot to say that Jordan would need one, however. But she most likely just needed medicine to get better. Oh, who was she kidding? Whenever someone talked about going to the doctor, they always mention the shots."So I will I need to get... a shot?" She asked nervously.
Back to top Go down
Kritten
Admin
Admin
Kritten

PostSubject: Re: Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)    Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)  EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 12:08 am

As soon as Jordan held out her arm, Gabriel wrapped the sphygmomanometer around it. Taking his stethoscope that hung from his neck and putting it in his ears, he placed it above the sphygmomanometer. After squeezing the bulb a couple of times he was satisfied with the results and took the sphygmomanometer off of her.

While he was doing this Jordan asked him a question, nervously. Right away he knew she was afraid of shots, since the question was about them. At the hospital he used to work at he was used to this, most people had horrible fantasies regarding syringes. "Well, you probably wouldn't be here right now if you got a flu shot," he admitted. "It's too late for that now though."

If this girl really didn't get any shots recently she had the risk to get Tetanus easily, and as a doctor it was his job to check with this. "Please tell me that you aren't scared of shots so much that you haven't gotten a Tetanus shot," he sighed. First thing was treating her cold, but later he might try to convince her to get one is she hadn't got one.
Back to top Go down
RainbowMilly
Farmer
Farmer
RainbowMilly

PostSubject: Re: Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)    Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)  EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 4:04 am

Tetanus? Jordan didn't know what that was. It sounded kind of like Tetris, the game. Her parents never felt the need to get her shots, and she was thankful for that, so she didn't really feel the need to get them on her own. Plus, it saved her the little money that she had.
"I'm not scared..." Jordan defended, "I just don't know what most of these shots are for, so I don't get them."

That was partially true. If Jordan thought that something didn't really benefit her in the immediate future, she didn't get it. However, she was nervous that Gabriel had mentioned two different shots that Jordan assumed that most people had. Jordan didn't come to get a shot, she came to get a check up so she could get better.

But what is Tetanus? Was it bad? Probably. If Jordan had it, could she die? Or was it like a type of cold that wouldn't kill her? If she had it, would she have to get surgery? If she knew, then she could decide whether to endure a shot or not. Wait a second... Jordan thought. Believe it or not, she had a doctor in the room at the moment. "Umm... What is Tetanus?" Jordan asked.
Back to top Go down
Kritten
Admin
Admin
Kritten

PostSubject: Re: Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)    Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)  EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 3:18 am

[Opps! FORGIVE ME FOR I HAVE FORGOTTEN TO POST HERE.]

"So you are scared," pointed out Gabriel bluntly. He wasn't one to say obvious things like this in the nicest manner, he was often viewed as shrewd for the way he did things. That was the kind of person he was, so he just let people deal with it themselves. "You may not be scared of shots, but scared of the unknown at the very least," added Gabriel. This might have taken away some of the offense of his first comment, but he never knew. People were unexpected creatures after all. "Then again most people who aren't should be considered stupid, because they know no boundaries."

Gabriel couldn't help but smile when Jordan showed some interest in the word 'Tetanus.' It was hard to believe that a person her age had yet had this explanation that he usually gave to five year olds back in the city. "Tetanus is a type of infection that a person can get, but worse than a simple ear infection. A deadly bacteria, called Clostridium tetani, infects a person through multiple means--most commonly being a wound made by a metal object cutting someone. Like stepping on a nail for example. The bacteria in a sense makes a poison that blocks nerve signals from the spinal cord to the muscles. First people get mild spasms, but over time they can get worse," explained Gabriel. He wasn't just going to half-explain it like most doctors would to five year olds. Just saying it would make her really sick wouldn't be good enough for a person like Jordan.

"The spasms can effect a persons breathing or in some cases tear muscles or fracture vertebrae, which isn't very easy to do," this topic probably wasn't the friendliest topic to discuss in an appointment, but Gabriel was trying to make a point. Just one appointment every few years could save your life. "If you don't get treatment in time the chance of death is higher. One out of four infected people die, with treatment only one out of ten people die. Personally, I'd rather face none of those odds," admitted Gabriel.

"Children normally get around five by the time they are around five years old," Gabriel further explained. "A person your age would get one every ten years since the infection would not be as deadly as it would be if you were younger. And that is that."
Back to top Go down
RainbowMilly
Farmer
Farmer
RainbowMilly

PostSubject: Re: Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)    Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)  EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 6:01 pm

Jordan didn't like how well she could be seen through, trying to but on a brave face did nothing. Gabriel still saw the fact that she was scared. He always said things so bluntly. Maybe she was just an easy to read person, or maybe it was his job to read people so well. He made tetanus sound like a very well known thing, something that everyone should know about. However, Jordan was no city girl. Either way, all the big words coming through the doctor's mouth truly terrified her. It sounded far worse than a shot.
He didn't take time to say "Everything will be fine if you have this shot" like most adults say falsely to comfort a scared child. Jordan would have liked it, but instead she still had a chance of death. It is greatly reduced, however. 1 in ten is still a good chance, though. Nine live and one die.
Jordan reviewed the symptoms over in her head, had she stepped on a nail? No, she would've noticed that. Is that it? Just stepping on a nail and then some muscle spasms? She didn't have that. Her back wasn't broken and she definitely wasn't dead. All Jordan had was a cough, headache, fever, sore throat, and everything hurt.
"I'm not sure if I have that, can you get it some other way than rusty nails? And how can you tell?" Jordan asked more than curiously, "And if I do have it, will the shot make it go away?"
Back to top Go down
Kritten
Admin
Admin
Kritten

PostSubject: Re: Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)    Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)  EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 1:39 am

"I'm an observer," stated Gabriel due to the perplexed look on the girl's face. She wasn't too hard for him to read because he had dealt with many patients like her before. "I'm paid to look at people and tell them how they are sick, not in a psychiatrist-kind-of-way though. After awhile you just learn patterns that people follow and can make a thesis that proves to be true."

"You have a common cold, not tetanus," explained Gabriel as he saw the worry in Jordan's eyes. He was just trying to convince her to get a shot for safe reasons--people in the country were more likely to get tetanus. Jordan need some simple cold medicine that'd fix her problem in a week's time. "I'm trying to do my job and get you to get a shot though."

At least she was showing some concern about tetanus though, that could make his job easier. "No it wouldn't cure you," he stated pausing for a second for dramatic effect. "It'd be too late then and you'd have to hope that the antibiotics would save you."
Back to top Go down
RainbowMilly
Farmer
Farmer
RainbowMilly

PostSubject: Re: Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)    Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)  EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 6:25 am

Jordan's sickly face lit up significantly at the news that she was disease-free, but then went back down to worry at the reminder of a shot. Like a stubborn child, she would do anything to get out of a shot. They are scary. But were they as scary as death? No. Did they hurt long-term like a disease? No. Could they harm you? Most likely not.
So why was she afraid? Mostly she heard about horrible shot stories, it must be horrible if so many kids resist it. Nevertheless, Jordan had to be brave. She was a big girl, and, for the sake of her well-being, she would get a shot.
'And after the shot, If I get the yucky medicine, it won't seem as bad!' Jordan thought to the side.

But she wouldn't like it.
"I w-want the s-shot," She mumbled nervously,"Can you please give me one?"
Back to top Go down
Kritten
Admin
Admin
Kritten

PostSubject: Re: Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)    Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)  EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 3:26 pm

It was obvious that the girl didn't want the shot, but she at least now understood that it was important to get them now. Maybe all she really needed was to see someone that could take the shot and not flinch at all. If he gave himself one first, it might be what he needs to make his job easier. He went to the cabinet and got the medicine for the shot, for both of them. Grabbing two syringes out of his draw her set the down by the medicine he just got out.

"Heck," he said. "I probably could use one myself."

He prepped the syringe for himself. Filled it with medicine and flicked the air out of the needle. He took off his lab coat, rolled up his sleeve, and without flinching gave himself a shot right in front of Jordan. After the medicine was in him he removed the needle, where only a tiny drop of blood formed. As soon as the drop formed it was covered by a band-aid and he rolled his sleeve to its natural position.

"See?" he said throwing away the one use needle in the bio-hazard box in the room. "Nothing to be worried about. I am not some novice nurse using some kid as my first shot patient. They make the mistake that slower is better, but to me the sooner you get it over with the less pain."
Back to top Go down
RainbowMilly
Farmer
Farmer
RainbowMilly

PostSubject: Re: Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)    Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)  EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 3:47 pm

All Jordan could do was stare, trying to keep her jaw from dropping in shock. He gave himself a shot! And didn't flinch or show any sign of pain. Yes, there was blood. But only a little. He was so calm. It made Jordan slightly wonder what they do in medical school. Do they get shots constantly just to get used to it? Probably not, but it still made her stomach drop just thinking about it.
If only she was still young enough to be promised a lollipop and stickers for getting it over with. She wouldn't be as reluctant. But she still has to get it, but not enjoy the procedure.
So Jordan rolled up her sleeve and held out her very tensed up arm, closed her eyes. "I'm as ready as I'll ever be" She said.
Back to top Go down
Kritten
Admin
Admin
Kritten

PostSubject: Re: Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)    Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)  EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 2:50 am

Jordan seemed to ease up a bit when he saw that he gave himself a shot in a more violent way that it'd be normally done. Obviously, she was reluctant--yet she rolled up her sleeves anyway. Even though her fear was small she was brave to go up against it, unlike him. Smiling he prepped her syringe and gently inserted the needle into her arm. It was all over in one second. "All done," he said throwing away the one use only syringe.

"Want a lollipop shorty?" he teased her after intentionally placing a silly children's cartoon band-aid on the girl. He just felt like teasing the poor girl now that the whole ordeal was over. Too much seriousness was boring in life, while being a jerk was exhilarating.
Back to top Go down
RainbowMilly
Farmer
Farmer
RainbowMilly

PostSubject: Re: Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)    Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)  EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 3:32 am

Wait...That was it? That was NOTHING. Jordan felt silly for ever fearing something so painless. Stubbing your toe hurt more! Still, Jordan felt triumphant and knew she didn't have to fear shots any longer.
Jordan was a bit miffed at the nickname Gabe gave her, but instantly forgave him at the mention of a lollipop. This had turned out to be a pretty good day, despite the cold. "Yes please!" she said enthusiastically, eagerly anticipating her prize.
Back to top Go down
Kritten
Admin
Admin
Kritten

PostSubject: Re: Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)    Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)  EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 1:23 am

[Sorry that I'm so late!]

"Wha?" said Gabriel shocked that the girl wanted the lollipop, he intended it to be more so of an insult. It was as if it didn't matter that he viewed her as a child, then again--someone her age might be tempted to call him 'gramps' based on how he looked. His un-kept visage made him look older than he was, which really didn't matter to him until someone would call him old. Then the insults would trickle from his mouth.

"That was supposed to be an insult," explained Gabriel as he grabbed a lollipop and handed it to the girl. "Where is your pride at all?"
Back to top Go down
RainbowMilly
Farmer
Farmer
RainbowMilly

PostSubject: Re: Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)    Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)  EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 10:46 pm

How was accepting an offer to a lollipop an insult? Jordan never understood sarcasm. She never could tell if it was because she was gullible or the fact that she wasn't clever enough to be sarcastic back. She assumed that it was an aim at how childish she acted. It made sense. A nineteen year old should not be acting such a way. Jordan did not get to experience much childhood folly, so she will try to get as much as she can in her adult years.
With that said, she happily accepted the lollipop and started to unwrap it while she answered Gabriel's question. "Pride is a benefit that only a man has." Jordan recited matter-of-factly, "Women are meant to be quiet, humble,and be the best homemaker they can be. Women do not have pride in anything other than their children and their home.The less pride I have, the better." Jordan finished.
That was the first thing that she really learned. She thought that everybody knew that. Everybody did where she grew up. It was probably cultural differences, Jordan thought as she popped the lollipop in her mouth. The lollipop tasted fine. She would thank him if it wasn't rude to do so.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)    Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)  Empty

Back to top Go down

Sick day (RESERVED Gabe and Jordan)
Page 1 of 1